2 leeks, the white part along with 2.5 cm of the green stalk, well washed and finely sliced
1/3 cup of olive oil
1-3 teaspoons of coarse pepper
2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
750 g of pumpkin, cleaned and diced into 1cm cubes
1/2 cup of dry white wine
3 cups of chicken stock, fat removed, or water
1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice
salt and freshly ground black pepper, as much as desired
2/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
2/3 cup of fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. In a large frying pan or a wide saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the leek for 6-8 minutes until soft.
2. Add the pepper, garlic and the pumpkin. Sauté all the ingredients for 10-15 minutes, until all the liquid has been cooked off.
3. Pour in the wine and stir a few times.
4. Add about 1/2 cup of water and reduce the heat. Allow the pumpkin to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until soft.
5. 20 minutes before serving, pour the chicken stock into a pan and simmer over very low heat.
6. Heat up the pumpkin mixture and as it comes to a boil, add the rice, stirring with a wooden spoon, until well combined.
7. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot chicken stock and allow the mixture to simmer, stirring constantly and adding 1/2 cup of chicken stock at a time, as soon as the previous stock has been absorbed by the rice.
8. After about 15 minutes, taste the rice, which should be al dente. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Remove the risotto from the heat and the parmesan cheese, stirring well. Serve the risotto sprinkled with coriander.